Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Un Homme et Une Femme

Exhausted, coming home from the gym last night, I was thrilled to see a local white wine chilling in the fridge and a new NetFlix awaiting me on top of the mail pile. Popping in the DVD "A Man and A Woman" or "Un Homme et Une Femme" I didn't quite know what I was getting into, reading the short description via NetFlix I didn't even know when the film was made. However, I ended up being ecstatic at the outcome. 

This charming french film made by Claude LeLouch, made in 1966, is what he calls, an accident and a miracle. A love story about a widow and a widower whose children go to the same boarding school. They meet by chance as their unfolding relationship begins it's journey on a long ride home to Paris. LeLouch does a brilliant job of dealing with the tension of parenthood and past loves as he tackles the development of this growing relationship. With sparse dialogue, distant establishing shots and lengthy flash back sequences, LeLouch seemed to accidentally create a new style of film. According to him, it was all due to a tight budget and a rushed shooting schedule. On the verge of financial ruin, "Un Homme et Une Femme" is the film that put LeLouch on the map and made him enough money to keep his production company afloat, enabling him to make over 30 more films throughout his career. 
A thoroughly enjoyable experience. I might need to add this film to my collection. What a way to spend a Monday night.














Not to mention the stunning beauty of Anouk Amiee! For the first ten minutes of the film I couldn't tell when it was made. I realized it had either been made in the 60's or last year. The fashion was so stellar and timeless I wanted every piece that she wore. Specifically her stove pipe straight leg jeans, her suede, sherpa jacket and her numerous black backless dresses. Even her hair! It has given me fresh inspiration for my own bob. 






No comments:

Post a Comment