Wednesday, June 2, 2010

For The Love of Brooklyn

Brooklyn. 
My first real adult apartment out of college was a 2500 square foot, artist studio loft, shared with two artists, in Brooklyn.
I was living in a room with canvas walls, and a massive, frosted, screen-less window that peered across an alley and looked straight into another artist's loft. I would wake every morning to see a stunning black woman wearing flowy skirts climbing ladders to reach the hight of her canvas with one of many pain brushes. 
The loft was situated between Carrol Gardens and Park Slope, just far enough from each to be defined by being "around the corner from the South Brooklyn Casket Co. and across the street from the Russian Mafia." 
I loved life in Brooklyn but hated the constant tension of feeling so far from Manhattan. I am one to fully live where I am. I hate commuting, I hate living somewhere and sleeping someplace else; I hate always wanting to be home, but home feeling so far away. 
For now, I am a Manhattanite, but perhaps one day, I will fully live and love life again in Brooklyn. 

Today, let us take a moment and celebrate Brooklyn and the pure joy of this delightful borough. 





above images found here



above images found here

2 comments:

Jill @ For the Love of Brooklyn said...

Thanks for featuring the blog -- hopefully you will come back again one day and enjoy it as much as I do! It's changed so much, even in the half dozen or so years I've lived here, and it's such a beautiful, vibrant place.

One small request though -- could you link your photos to the original posts here and here? They come from different photographers in our collective, and want to make sure credit's given where credit is due! :) Again, thanks so much!

JRenee said...

Of course! Thank you, Jill. I'll actually be in Brooklyn this weekend for brunch and an early dinner at the Lebanese food festival. Looking forward to it. Thanks for all you share!

Post a Comment