Wednesday, August 4, 2010

No Longer Orphans


Hello again! 
Today, Christine, Joseph and I visited their friend, Cory (seen below), who has committed her life to caring for sick and dying children. The Health Department in Mozambique has even sanctioned her orphanage, and although they do not give any funding regularly send her children with terminal illnesses.  I was thrilled to meet such a valiant woman and to see that many of the "sick and dying" children are thriving under her care! She told me story after story about baby that has been brought to her without a chance and those that have miraculously grown to be healthy, happy children. One of which is in the photo below. He was brought to her as an infant on his death bed, HIV positive, struggling against five strands of Malaria and Tuberculosis. You will see him dancing and singing in the photos below. 





Cory also has the only preschool and elementary school for miles around and therefore teaches the entire surrounding neighborhood. Some of the children who have come to her, too sick for their parents to take care of, have since been reunited with their families. Cory only has three Mozambican staff to help her care from anywhere between 30 and 60 children at a time. The Mozambican women are also thriving under her care and as she will tell you, "are running the show!" 









We were able to meet one very sick little girl who is currently struggling with the later stages of AIDS and a tough case of Asthma. They had been up all night together fighting illness and were both exhausted by the time we arrived. We were able to pray for her before we left, but I would also like to solicit your prayers as well. So many of these children should not be dancing, learning, and living as they are. I am believing for a miracle for this one as well. 



I am hoping to get ahold of an 8 minute video that we saw today depicting many of the stories of these children. I'll try to post it this week, if I can get my hands on it! 

As tragic as it is to see such poverty and disparity, I must be honest in saying that I am left with such hope and encouragement to see such unabashed joy! I look forward to taking Cory out (to get away for even just a night) and to spend more time with these precious children. Surely the kingdom of God belongs to ones such as these.

You can also partner with me in prayer that Cory will be given a apprentice to eventually take on this ministry and to help her cary the load.

7 comments:

kyle said...

Told you I'd read!

-Kyle

sue said...

Beautiful photos!!

Amara said...

You Ray of Sunshine. You, Cory and these little doll babies are in already in my conversations with God. You two enjoy a ladies night and know that I'm sending you strength and a warm hug. Keep spreadin' that sweet love, Sister.

JRenee said...

Ha.. thanks for reading guys!

Thanks for your prayers, your strength and your warm thoughts.

Alex said...

great pictures! very happy to read about your first few days.

Amanda Kay said...

Joelle, thank you for posting the stories and pictures of your time in Africa so far! It is very lovely to see and inspiring! I hope to go there myself to serve somehow in the future. Know that you are missed here by many.

ckim said...

Love reading about your adventures! God is truly so good. Praying for you.

Post a Comment